Did you miss me? I know it’s the longest break I’ve had so far, but hasn’t this summer flown by? Here are some of the things I’ve been enjoying the past few weeks:
- Coming of Age in the Middle. Last spring, Jessica Lahey earned a huge book deal that will come out next year based on a piece she wrote for The Atlantic about allowing kids to fail. She teaches in a private school, and she’s decided to take a couple years off to complete her book and go on a national tour. How great would that be!
- My first fan gift: Okay, it’s happened twice now. The past two summers, when I go to my sister’s house, my fan has made me salsa from the vegetables in his garden. Yes, homemade salsa will get you a shout out (Hey, Dave!). It’s extra special because I’ve never actually met him. But even if you know me personally, feel free to send me gifts.
- Oreos: When I look back over the years, I’ll fondly say, “Was that the summer I was obsessed with Oreos?” I can’t tell you how many Oreos I’ve actually eaten the past few weeks. (Seriously, Nabisco, you should put an ad on my page! I deserve it.)
- Books: You knew I was going to say that, didn’t you? I just finished Townie by Andre Dubus III, and I’m almost done with Magical Thinking by Augusten Burroughs. Any suggestions out there?
- The Boys: They’ve had an incredible summer riding bikes and horses, swimming, and visiting family. While we’re still working on the whole crying and whining thing, it’s gotten a whole lot better.
What have you enjoyed this summer?